Birthday Email

If you've programmed a new HuMo-genealogy feature (that you'd like to see included in the official version), please upload and describe your work here.
metroman90210
2 star
2 star

Birthday Email

Post by metroman90210 »

Has anyone developed a script that will generate an email sent to whomever would want one that lists upcoming birthdays, say 3 or 4 days in the future. This would need to be set up as a cron job and sent out on a daily basis. I had one using TNG and worked very well. I tried to adapt it to humo-gen but my coding skills are not where they need to be in order to make this happen.
Huub
HuMo-genealogy programmer

Re: Birthday Email

Post by Huub »

If you want to try it yourself, you could check the script: birthday_rss.php. This is the RSS newsfeed that shows birthdays.
If a browser support it, and the RSS feed option is enabled, you will see the orange RSS icon in the browser.
:arrow: HuMo-genealogy update? Backup your database! Editing in HuMo-genealogy? Backup your data!
Make multiple backups with: PHPMyAdmin, gedcom export and database export.

HuMo-genealogy software: http://humo-gen.com
metroman90210
2 star
2 star

Post by metroman90210 »

I'm pretty sure I have the RSS birthday feed enabled but don't see the organge icon either in Firefox or Microsoft Edge. Where would it show up in either of these browsers? I I just run the birthday_rss.php file as you suggested, it does not provide much information.

UPDATE: Neither Firefox nor Microsoft Edge provide RSS feeds within the browser, so the orange icon you reference is not available. I assume then that I would not be able to use the birthday_rss.php file as is?
Huub

Post by Huub »

Most modern browsers don't show RSS feeds anymore. It's necessary to enable RSS, or install a RSS plugin to show the RSS feed.
More information about RSS in a browser can be found at internet.

I assume then that I would not be able to use the birthday_rss.php file as is?
Yes, that is possible, but export is in XML format.
It's also possible to rename this script to another script something like: birth_days.php. Then you can change the code.

To generate an e-mail check mailform.php as an example.

The most difficult part will be the privacy filter (if it's needed).
:arrow: HuMo-genealogy update? Backup your database! Editing in HuMo-genealogy? Backup your data!
Make multiple backups with: PHPMyAdmin, gedcom export and database export.

HuMo-genealogy software: http://humo-gen.com
metroman90210
2 star
2 star

Post by metroman90210 »

Huub wrote: Fri 01 May 2020, 20:29 The most difficult part will be the privacy filter (if it's needed).
The Privacy Filter would not be needed as the email is only sent to me (the admin) and a very few registered users. I will check the mailform.php file to see if I can adapt it to accomplish what I want. Thanks as always for your response.