Docker Container

If you've programmed a new HuMo-genealogy feature (that you'd like to see included in the official version), please upload and describe your work here.
LukEG

Re: Docker Container

Post by LukEG »

Huub wrote: Sat 31 Dec 2022, 11:05 Other problem: I created a hub.docker account, but I don't know how to add the docker-compose file into a container or image. It's a bit complex. I allready tried to generate an image using: docker-compose build and docker buildx bake. But it doesn't work. I allready read several websites to solve the problem, but at the moment I just don't know what commands are needed to build the image to use in hub.docker.
For now it's only possible to use the Docker files by installing manually in Docker.
So, If I get it correctly, the only problem left - is to deliver the image to hub.docker.com , right?
if so, you can watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW19eGc0NFE which explains how to do that.

Didn't get why would you need to add "docker-compose file into a container or image", since it usually a third party file used to set up a container on a specific machine. You can always share the docker-compose.yml template file on Github.
Huub
HuMo-genealogy programmer

Post by Huub »

So, If I get it correctly, the only problem left - is to deliver the image to hub.docker.com , right?
I managed to create an image and add it to docker.com (hidden at this moment). But it doesn't work. If I install this container it does nothing.
I checked other containers, maybe the database container must be seperated. Don't know for sure...
And maybe it's easier to use Apache instead of Nginx. Because Nginx needs an extra FPM container.
You can always share the docker-compose.yml template file on Github.
It's inside the HuMo-genealogy files at this moment: https://github.com/HuubMons/HuMo-geneal ... ter/Docker
This file will be renewed soon (still not 100% functional. Volumes don't work yet).

I'm quit busy programming the next version, a few Docker improvements are included.
:arrow: HuMo-genealogy update? Backup your database! Editing in HuMo-genealogy? Backup your data!
Make multiple backups with: PHPMyAdmin, gedcom export and database export.

HuMo-genealogy software: http://humo-gen.com
LukEG

Post by LukEG »

the early version of the reply, don't see how to delete it, only edit.
Remove it pls.
Last edited by LukEG on Fri 17 Feb 2023, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
LukEG

Post by LukEG »

Huub wrote: Thu 16 Feb 2023, 17:48 I managed to create an image and add it to docker.com (hidden at this moment). But it doesn't work. If I install this container it does nothing.
We can have a call on Docker, e.g. in Discord.
I'm quite newb to the image creation, rather a mature user, yet, I'd like to help you here. Since to me it seems that you're not enough into Docker (:
It's inside the HuMo-genealogy files at this moment: https://github.com/HuubMons/HuMo-geneal ... ter/Docker
This file will be renewed soon (still not 100% functional. Volumes don't work yet).
Maybe I'm mistaking and the product is just to complex to simply push it into the container..
But, I saw some unofficial docker images, and presume they are working despite the version is outdated.. This one even has a github repo, with the dockerfile

I like docker-compose files and dealt with some volumes issues, so, I might be helpful there, I guess.

I'd be glad to dive a bit deeper there and help you, since I personally would like to use the genealogy software on my docker instance.
Huub

Post by Huub »

I also checked this Docker file of Webtrees: https://github.com/NathanVaughn/webtrees-docker
Maybe this is a good point to start. It uses Apache (no FPM needed), and only an extra database container is needed.

I'm an absolute beginner using Docker. And I don't know where to start, it seems there are multiple methods to build a container.

I allready build several simple container but building a HuMo-genealogy container using volumes, a webserver and a database server isn't the easiest start.

I do have a HuMo-genealogy working container, if I build the container locally. But it's not working at hub.docker. And volumes doesn't work (only the database volume works).

Maybe it's possible to build a (webserver) container that only contains a very small HuMo-genealogy script that installs the most recent version (just like the automatic update script). Then only 1 large volume is needed that contains all HuMo-genealogy scripts. Advantage: maybe the automatic update script could be used because all the scripts are included the volume.

I will post more info about the status of Docker later. At this moment I want to release a new HuMo-genealogy version, I'm doing some last minute updates.
:arrow: HuMo-genealogy update? Backup your database! Editing in HuMo-genealogy? Backup your data!

alexandru
3 star
3 star

Post by alexandru »

Hoj Huub,

When you have time, maybe you write a help section to understand how to make an update with Docker Container. How to install Docker on Raspberry Pi (for example) and what's next, to final step... For now on I don't understand how is working this system. Maybe this method is better (maybe less work for you, in update process), I don't know...
I just download the new files and replace the old files on the server and it's working great...
I don't know..., as you consider...

Groeten from Romania,
Huub

Post by Huub »

Hi Alexandru,

There are a few things to say about Docker:

- It would be great to develop a HuMo-genealogy Docker container. So it would be possible to install HuMo-genealogy in Docker.
But: I have tried to do this, it's complex. I have stopped developing a Docker Container (for now).

- BUT: it is possible to run HuMo-genealogy in Docker without a special container.
Just search the internet to install Apache-PHP-MySQL or maybe NGinx-PHP-MySQL in Docker. I have done this. It probably costs me several MONTHS before I understood how to do this (I have installed Docker at a Raspberry Pi and at my laptop).
The main problem: there are hundreds of manuals at internet. And every manual is a bit different. I tried several of these manuals, most didn't work (in my environment).

- Then: I really wanted to try Docker Desktop. But, my laptop was about 8 years old, and was to slow to run this program. So I bought an Intel I7 12th gen. DECA core (10 cores) laptop, and now I can run Docker Desktop.
I like the graphical interface using Docker Desktop. I do know how to use the CLI commands for Raspberry Pi, but it's just a little easier to use a GUI.

It's not very difficult to run Docker. It's a bit more complicated to run Apache or NGinx. And it will cost A LOT of time (really a lot) to run PHP websites in Docker that needs: zip options, picture options, read and write file, etc (like HuMo-genealogy).
If this works, it also possible to update HuMo-genealogy using the automatic update script.

I'm not using Docker at my Raspberry Pi anymore. I'm using Docker at my laptop to develop HuMo-genealogy (Docker Desktop).

alexandru
3 star
3 star

Post by alexandru »

Hoi Huub,
Thanks a lot for your extended answer... I appreciate a lot... There is not a big deal, there are other methods to update the software.
I use prepare_next_version - absolutely very interesting... An intermediate version - not released - just for testing. Very nice...You are working a lot....

You are very great to your software. It is outstanding, I use it for my genealogy - no other software... Everything is there, in database, as I set up, thanks to your hard work... Absolutely great software, I appreciate very much...

Groeten,